Virol-Oxy®: Frequently Asked Questions

Why use Virol-Oxy® ?

Virol-Oxy® is the only safe disinfectant/ sanitizer that is not only chlorine-free, but has been scientifically proven to be five times more effective than any chlorine based product, based on its Superior Oxidation Potential.  It was developed in Germany, is currently being used in over 40 countries worldwide, and has been tested for virucidal activity against the current Covid-19 strain of Coronavirus.

Whilst Chlorine-based disinfectant products are good as a general disinfectant, they will not kill all bacteria and particularly viruses that are becoming resistant to the continued use of chlorine.  

Virol-Oxy® is a non-toxic, environmentally friendly, cost-effective, advanced, long lasting disinfectant.  It can last up to 30 days after application.  The Titanium Dioxide coating kills bacteria, viruses and fungi upon contact and remains in place even with repeated scrubbing and cleaning, as chemical bonding agents help it to adhere tightly to surfaces at a molecular level. 

Virol-Oxy® is a safe & effective product. It is safe to handle without protective clothing and the solution is non-irritant to skin and eyes. It can also be disposed of down the drain. Safe for both humans and animals.

What Chemicals are used in Virol-Oxy® ?

Hydrogen peroxide, Potassium Pentasulfate and a Titanium Dioxide.  These create two key active free radicals with a superior Oxidation potential.  The activity of the free radicals oxidizes viruses, bacteria, fungi and moulds (spores).

Has Virol-Oxy® been Tested?

Virol-Oxy® has undergone independent German Hygcen tests to achieve the strict European Standards testing authorities’ requirements for viruses - coronavirus, Covid-19, vaccinia, polio and Murine Norovirus.  All these tests are available, together with their certificates and MSDS.  EN14476 compliant.  

The EU testing authorities, Hygcen, have also tested Virol-Oxy® extensively for bacteria – Staph.Aureus, E.hirae, P.aeruginosa, E. coli. EN13727 compliant.

 

How do I use Virol-Oxy®?

10g / 1 Tablespoon makes 1 Litre of recommended 1% solution (1:100). 

Mix as much as is needed, depending on the application. It is better to mix small quantities more often.

 Once the solution is prepared, it will turn red to show it has activated.  This will fade to a cloudy solution approx 24 -48 hours later. 

Ideal for swabbing, spraying, misting, fogging and as a hand sanitizer.

Spray the surfaces thoroughly using Virol-Oxy® solution and leave for 10 minutes for maximum activation.  Then, either dry with a dry cloth or let the solution evaporate. You can also clean / wipe the surface with a wet cloth there-after.

Store in a dry, dark cool cupboard and out of the reach of children.  Once mixed, the solution is active for 10 days. Discard down the drain after 10 days.

As a general surface disinfectant, recommended concentration is 1%. 

As a hand sanitiser, recommended concentration remains at 1%.  Since this is an alcohol free product, this is gentler on the hands and reduces dermatitis / dryness.

For fogging, recommended solution is 0.5% (1:200). Virol-Oxy® is suitable for ULV and Thermal foggers.

For misting tunnels and sanitation booths, Virol-Oxy® recommends 0.1% – 0.3% solution.  This concentrated solution is harmless, but it is always recommended to keep eyes closed (protected), while standing in the tunnel for disinfection (this suggestion is for any chemical, not only for Virol-Oxy® ). The World Health Organisation recommends Hydrogen Peroxide based chemicals for this purpose as Chlorine / Sodium Hypochlorite or alcohol based sanitizers are contraindicated and recommended for use only on “non-living surfaces.”)

Disinfecting water tanks in buildings, concentration remains at 1%. 

How long does Virol-Oxy® last?

The surface will remain disinfected for up to 30 days, even if it is touched.  However, we recommend that items that are touched by many people daily be disinfected every 2 to 3 days e.g. hand rails, lift buttons, door handles etc. (A nano-coating of Titanium Dioxide remains on surfaces after spraying Virol-Oxy® .  The EU testing has proved that the electrons from the nano-coating of Titansorb-P (TiO2 begins to bond with the atoms on the surface of the product being disinfected as soon as you spray.) This bond is extremely tight, and attains the best adhesion after 10 mins.  When a virus, bacteria, fungi or mould spore land on the bonded Virol-Oxy® coated surface, the disinfected surface is still active (for up to a month) and will continue to destroy the virus.

 

How do I know when I must re-coat surfaces with Virol-Oxy® ?

The EU testing stated that when used externally, re-coat every 3 months, when used internally, re-coat every 1 month.  High traffic areas should be done every week in the height of the epidemic.

Is Virol-Oxy® solution suitable for Food & Beverage environment.

Virol-Oxy® is absolutely safe for Food & Beverage environments.  For the maximum benefits of Virol-Oxy® and TiO2, it is recommended to spray according to the instructions and let the liquid evaporate.  The longer the solution is in contact with the item being disinfected, the longer it will continue to be self-cleaning. However, it begins to be effective immediately.

 

Is Virol-Oxy® a Liquid or Powder?

Virol-Oxy® is sold as an inert powder.  The solution is activated when mixed with water. This reduces storage and transport costs. It is against the manufacturer’s regulations to sell/resell Virol-Oxy® in a liquid form.  The reason is that once the powder is mixed with water, the solution is immediately activated.  This solution  has a 10-day shelf-life before it expires.  The powder has a shelf life of 3 years.

What is the packaging of Virol-Oxy®?

Virol-Oxy® is sold in user friendly 10g sachets as well as bulk from 1kg tubs to 1Ton.

 

Is Virol-Oxy® safe to use?

Once mixed, Virol-Oxy® is  non-toxic, non-corrosive, environmentally friendly and safe for humans and animals.  Virol-Oxy® does not generate fumes.  It does not have a toxic vapour phase.   It is safe enough to wash raw meat and vegetables at 0.5% solution.  Always keep out of the reach of children as with any chemical. 

DO NOT – eat the powder or drink the solution.

Do you need to use any protective clothing when you mix the Virol-Oxy® solution?

DO NOT – inhale the powder or  get it  into your eyes.  No special protective gear is required if you are mixing small quantities i.e. 1 or 2lt at a time.  However, we would recommend you should wear gloves and a mask, as you would with any chemicals.  The powder is inert and is a non-irritant.

How do I store the Virol-Oxy® powder?

Keep out of reach of Children.  Store in a cool, dry, dark place.  Keep container sealed and dry. 

 

What is the shelf life of Virol-Oxy® ?

3 years from manufacturing date, if stored and handled correctly as per recommendations on the packaging. Solution, once diluted last 10 days.

Contact us if you need more info:

info@sos-safety.co.za 

072 853 8420